Saturday, May 2, 2009

2 May 2009

This morning I got outside to the backyard around 0930. It was overcast and around 61 degrees. I cut the grass and put out seed in 2 of the feeders. It had been a few days since I had seed out and it didn't take long for the birds to find it. I saw at least 7 different species of birds. I saw 3 Northern Cardinals, several Song Sparrows and House Sparrows, a House Finch, a Blue Jay, a couple of Mourning Doves and an American Robin. This was in a matter of about 20 minutes.

The interesting thing about today was the Northern Cardinals. There were 2 males and 1 female. The males spent the whole time chasing each other and doing fly-bys while the female ate sunflower seeds on the ground. I only remember seeing 1 male and 1 female last year so it will be interesting as the summer progresses.

Here is a picture of the female and 1 of the males.


No comments:

Post a Comment