Sunday, August 15, 2010

Finally a Hummingbird

Today started out around 75 degrees and a little muggy. That is a lot better in my book than the normal 95 and humid that it is has been most of the summer. With that in mind, I made sure that the seed feeders were stocked and waited to see what would come into my backyard.

I was up in the kitchen looking out when I saw something that looked like a large dragonfly darting around my red flowers. It was a hummingbird. I quickly boiled some water, put in some sugar and red dye and got the hummingbird feeder hung in a good spot on the fence. After about 10 minutes, the female Ruby-throated Hummingbird came back and has been at the feeder on and off all day.

Notice the 3 outer tail feathers are white tipped. 

This is the smallest bird in Virginia and is a summer resident in NOVA.

No comments:

Post a Comment