Friday, March 19, 2010

19 Mar 2010

Another bird for the list. But, more on that later.

I went down to the Mason Neck State Park area today. It was 72 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. The woods are starting to green up. I walked 2 miles out to an observation point with a little observation house. I did not see another person on the walk out or back. That was a total bonus.
Mason Neck State Park

I bought a new 300MM zoom lens today on the way out to Mason Neck. It seemed like all of the birds I was trying to photograph were always just outside the range of my 200MM zoom. Man, is it nice.

I saw a few Red-bellied Woodpeckers and got a picture of one. It was extremely high up in the tree, but the 300 got it anyways. Looking through all of my earlier bird lists, it seemed like I had never seen one before.




I stopped by the Wild Bird Center on the way home and bought a new feeder. I asked the guy working there if he felt like the long, difficult winter with 3 feet of snow had any effect on the local birds. He thought that the bird population was down slightly after the winter. I am tending to agree with that so far as spring gets closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment