Sunday, January 16, 2011

3rd new bird of 2011

After having such a great birding year last year, I wasn't sure how I was going to be able to add more permanent resident birds to my list. Today I was down by the lake and finally got a picture of an Eastern Bluebird. There was a male and a female. I got a ton of great pictures, but these 2 birds really made the cold day a little more tolerable.

The Eastern Bluebird is a permanent resident to Northern Virginia. Bluebirds don't come to my feeders, so I have to go out and find them. I have seen them at a distance from time to time, but was unable to get a great picture. I finally got some pictures of them in a tree near the lake. Interestingly enough, a hawk came across the lake and buzzed the tree. The bluebirds got nervous, but did not fly away.

Male Eastern Bluebird


















Female Eastern Bluebird


















Trying to get in a little closer

1 comment:

  1. Wow these are beautiful shots! I know what you mean about the cold being more bearable once you find a cool bird to look at...

    ReplyDelete