Monday, January 3, 2011

Huntley Meadows and Dykes Marsh

I went out to Huntley Meadows today as it was a day off of work. There were hundreds of Geese, Ducks, Crows and Gulls out there. Nothing really special. I did get a nice picture of a White-throated Sparrow which will be my World Bird Wednesday Bird.

I did get a new bird for me during my walk. A Red-tailed Hawk circled and circled and circled but would never come down. I had to take the picture almost over my head. This is part of my new action shot practice of 2011.

The Red-tailed Hawk is a permanent resident to Northern Virginia and is the first one added to my list in 2011.

Red-Tailed Hawk
















I tried to zoom in a little more






















I drove over to Dykes Marsh and walked to the Potomac River. There were also large rafts of Geese and Ducks there as well. I was able to get a new duck there as well. I found 2 male and 2 female Lesser Scaup among the many Ruddy Ducks and Mallards. The Lesser Scaup is a winter visitor to NOVA.

Male Lesser Scaup

No comments:

Post a Comment